Tuesday, January 3, 2012

LUSCIOUS STRAWBERRY PIE

This is my favorite strawberry pie recipe.  I have been making these pies since I was a teenager.  They are also favorites with all my children and grandchildren.  Every where I have ever taken these pies, they have received rave reviews.

2 9-inch baked pie shells
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tbsp cornstarch
2 small (4-serving size) pkg strawberry jello
2 1/2 cups boiling water
2 pints fresh strawberries, washed, stemmed, halved if very large
whipped cream for garnish

In a heavy-duty saucepan cook the sugar, cornstarch, water, and jello over medium-high heat until bubbly and thick.  When filling is cooked enough it will turn from a thick look to a clear look.  Allow to cool partially.  While filling cools, arrange the berries evenly in the two baked pie shells.  Slowly pour the filling over the strawberries.  Allow to cool completely or refrigerate for about an hour.

Serve with whipped cream.


5 comments:

Linda said...

Can't wait to try this pie---looks scrumptious, especially at this time of the year when it's about 12 degrees outside and all I can think about is summer and picking strawberries! :-) Happy New Year! Linda

Linda C Wilson said...

Oh, Linda, this is one of the best pies. Have been making it since I was 16 or 17 (that's about 50 years now!) I know you will enjoy it! Have a great 2012!

B^2 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
B^2 said...

How long did you cook the filling before it looked "clear"? Also, how long is the filling to be cooled before putting it in the pie? Thanks!

Linda C Wilson said...

It takes a few minutes for the filling to turn clear, probably 5 or 10 unless you cook too fast. I only let it cool a few minutes, less than 5. I often turn the fan over my stove on and set it under the fan for a few minutes to pull the heat out fast. You just don't want to wilt the berries.