Wednesday, May 23, 2012

GOOD OLD FASHION CREAMY MASHED POTATOES

Approximately 5 lb potatoes
1 cup butter, softened
1 can (12-oz) evaporated milk
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks.  Place the potatoes into a large stockpot or Dutch oven and cover with water.  Bring potatoes to a boil, lower heat to medium-high and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.  Remove from the heat and drain in a large colander.

Place the potatoes back into the pot (or a large bowl if your pot has a nonstick surface) and add the butter.  Mash with a potato masher.  Add the evaporated milk and stir until well combined.  Season with the salt and pepper.

NOTE: I have mashed many potatoes using a potato masher.  These days I usually use my electric hand mixer. The one pictured is like the one I used when I was young.

file photo


No comments: