Wednesday, September 26, 2012

OLD FASHION 24-HOUR FRUIT SALAD

This old recipe is from one of my late mother's 1950s newspaper clippings.  The clipping was so faded the picture was not readable for posting.

2 eggs, beaten
1 tbs. vinegar
4 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. butter
1 cup cream, whipped
Put eggs in double boiler, add vinegar and sugar stirring constantly until thick and smooth.  Remove from fire, add butter and cool.  When cold, fold in whipped cream and the following mixture:
2 cups white cherries
2 cups pineapple, drained
2 oranges, diced
2 cups marshmallows
Turn into a mold and put into refrigerator for 24 hours.

This is a file photo used for reference only.
It is not this exact recipe.



1 comment:

Pamela Hartzler said...

I have very fond memories of my Gramma making a 24 hour salad that sounds a lot like this. Unfortunately she passed some time ago without sharing the recipe. My sisters have talked about this recipe for years and I decided to start searching for recipes I could piece together in hopes to replicate the beloved dessert. I am thankful I found your post and I will be trying this recipe very soon.